Monday, January 25, 2010

Background Information

April 10th 2009 was a day that forever changed me.


ON this day my husband, myself, and our two children went to my doctors appointment to have an ultrasound done to see if we were having a boy or a girl. Much to our surprise we found out we were, in fact, having a girl (as my husband had guessed) however, she had spina bifida, with a "lemon sign", "acII malformation, " and "hydrocephalus." After that I think my whole body shut down. IT was a huge sock to us and I kept thinking "Why us," "What did we do?" You see we had no concept of spina bifida and the small concept we did have was negative.

I share this story with you because many of you just found out your having a baby with spina bifida or know someone who is. I have good news for you- its not all negative. Its an absolute joy and priveledge to be a mother/father/brother/sister to someone who lives with spina bifida. As I sit here today and look at my beautiful and absolutely perfect 5 1/2 month old daugther


I now have a face for spina bifida and the face is beautiful!



Nicole