Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pre-OP.....done!

It's really happening..... after a week of being snow and ice bound in Atlanta, we made it down to Children's on Thursday for Madilyn's Pre-OP appointment with Anesthesia. The nurses were actually glade to see us. Most of them spent several days at the hospital and were happy to see some new faces. Madilyn got the royal treatment! We were not rushed and it gave Madilyn a chance to just talk and ask questions. She also voiced her opinion about the mask they use to put her to sleep. SHE DOES NOT LIKE IT....it tastes horrible....and yes we have tried every flavor they have! After getting cleared for surgery we headed down to the lab for some blood work. Madilyn was well hydrated and only had to have one stick! (After 6 years, I have finally learned to make her drink, drink, drink before we go for blood work!) Not one tear was shed.

It's real now.... Madilyn will be headed to surgery on Thursday, Jan 20th. Her 4th de-tethering of her spinal cord. We are so hopeful that she might regain the feeling in her right foot.

Now it is time to double check the lists I have already made....the ones I have made during past hospital stays when I wished I had this and that. Sticking to my lists calms my nerves in some strange way. I can't really explain it....

Leaving my other children behind is so hard. Especially since I will miss Tyler's 14th birthday. We are going to celebrate it the day before surgery but it will be sad not to be with him...we have this crazy tradition that we sing the "Happy Birthday" song at the moment you were born and you have to listen to Mom tell you all about the day you were born....even what I did the day before. This time...it will have to be a phone call. These are the moments that make this so difficult on me as a Mother.

Even though we have been through this 3 times before....it is never easy. My emotions are already beginning to get the best of me. Just typing my post this morning has been hard. I know what is coming. Madilyn knows what is about to happen. Last night she told us she was not going! I reminded her that we were going to make a new "Build-A-Bear" on Monday....its shameful that I have resorted to bribery. Thank goodness that a new bear works...I am afraid of what it will take in a few years!

We made every effort to let Madilyn enjoy the snow this week! Maybe this wild Atlanta snowstorm was one of those tender mercies from above. We made some wonderful memories that we can talk about when things are hard.

Best Wishes to each and everyone one of you...wherever you are on this journey at this very moment in time!
Madilyn's Mom
aka....Jill

4 comments:

matt said...

My sister-in-law was born with glaucoma before there was a cure. Every time she had a surgery her dad would take her dress shopping afterwards.

A friend once asked me if you ever get used to all the hospital visits. My response: "It never gets easier, you never get used to it. But with some luck, you try to get better at handling it."

matt said...

My sister-in-law was born with glaucoma before there was a cure. Every time she had a surgery her dad would take her dress shopping afterwards.

A friend once asked me if you ever get used to all the hospital visits. My response: "It never gets easier, you never get used to it. But with some luck, you try to get better at handling it."

Meilani said...

Wishing you all the best going into this next surgery. I will be saying lots of prayers for Madilyn this week!

Charmaine said...

That is AWESOME news. :) Best of luck with the surgery. I can feel the nerves pulsating from here. Much love and prayers for your angel Madilyn!