Monday, January 3, 2011

Redefining

Shopping at Target yesterday, an employee approached us as we approached the check out. At first, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. We often get stares. Sometimes comments. Sometimes, people walk big circles around us. I'll admit, we aren't your conventional family. But she reached her hand out and touched Esther-Faith's curls. Then she asked me, "What does she have?" Without hesitation I responded, "She was born with Spina Bifida."

She touched my arm and with excitement she said, "My daughter was, too!"

I could have hugged this woman.

We talked for about 20 minutes. Exchanged email addresses. I gave her this web site. Her daughter is 21. She has endured some 70 surgeries--more than half of them on her shunt. And she is an undergraduate at a university away from home. I was encouraged by her story, and relieved by the small world we live in. It was a great connection to make, and I hope to see Connie again and to meet her daughter.

On another note, we have finally celebrated Christmas with both sets of parents (everyone got one of these shirts from us for Christmas), and I can share these photos!






by Karin.
(from the HennHouse)

No comments: